1.28.2009

Week 1

It has been just over a week since I made my resolution of perseverance, and I have to say I am already feeling a lot better about myself especially physically. While I still have quite a ways to go, I am glad that I have started on this journey. For the last three days I have been stuck in a hotel up near fayetteville trying to get out on a flight to Rome. I wish that I had used this time more effectively, but I must admit that much of it was spent lying in the bed and watching NCIS day after day. I do have to say that spending this extra time with my mom before I leave has been such a blessing, and although I wish I could be with my fellow classmates overseas right now, I am truly thankful. I am also overjoyed that Braden will be meeting me at the airport in Atlanta tomorrow. I was a little sad to be making that trip by myself. Also, I am very intrigued to meet 21-year-old Riccardo who will be picking us up in Rome :)

Today while browsing the internet...one of my many mindless activities in the hotel room, i found this quote by one of my favorite authors, and former Batchelor, Jason Illian. It reminded of a question that one of my good friends recently asked me. "How do you know?" (refering to finding the person that you are going to marry) I think this quote answers that question.

***"A successful relationship isn't about YOU! Nearly everyone is trying to find someone to make them happy, trying to get someone to fulfill their needs, trying to meet someone who will complete their life. But that attitude is just the opposite of love. Love is about serving others and wanting what is best for them, even if it doesn't fit into your predefined box about romance. "Self" is the mortal enemy of love, the antithesis of all Christ died for. If YOU are worried about getting what you want, YOUR future relationships are doomed for failure.
Self-satisfaction always leads to self- destruction.

Ride the tilt-a-whirl backwards--try being a servant, a listener, and a friend. Try putting other's interests first and see if the floodgates of heaven don't open up so wide, you can't even begin to hold all the blessings that the Lord bestows upon you.

Just a thought..."***

I think that that is the epitome of true love, and that is how you know. When your relationship is no longer all about what you want and what you need but about wanting to make that other person in your life happy, and when you have found someone who feels the same way about you, then you know you have found the right one.

If you haven't read Jason's book Undressed, I highly recommend it. I think reading his website today inspired me to read it again...for the third time. haha. This book is a keeper.

1 comment:

Linda S. Socha said...

I really like the final analysis in your post that seems to say to me...lOVE IS ABOUT reciprocity.

To give is to receive. To receive is to give?
Thanks Liz
Linda