2.13.2009

Reflection of the Day

After every day of onsite classes, we are assigned to reflect on one thing that stood out to us...whether that be a work of art, the architecture of a building, a historical event, whatever it may be. Today we visited Santa Croce and the Bargello, and I thought I might share my reflection with you.

Santa Croce
Tombs of Galileo, Michelangelo, Machiavelli, and Rossini

I guess what really got me thinking today was seeing all of the "famous" tombs. I've toured Europe before, and I've stood on top of a lot of dead people, and when we started talking about tombs, I started to tune out thinking, "What's so special? This tomb is just like the others." Then Cindy (our guide) started talking about Galileo, and suddenly his tomb became more important, because I knew of his great achievements. I studied astronomy last semester, so I'm very aware of the impact he really had on our world, and it got me thinking..."What will people remember about my life?" Am I going to make a difference in the world that I'm living in? I sure hope so. I'm not saying we all have to be internationally known to be successful, but I do think that we are called by God to make an impact on the world. We cannot drift through life idly letting it pass us by. We must be proactive. We must take risks. We are called to be what the world would see as "reckless" in the name of our Savior.

So at the end of it all will you have made a difference? Will I?

1 comment:

Linda S. Socha said...

It sounds as if you are definitely in the middle of a thinking period.
I like the direction of your blog. How is it feeling to you ? I hope you will post a photo of yourself.
Wishing you wonderful travels
Linda